Minor Injury Service
Woodchurch Surgery offers a Minor Injury Service. This service is available to all patients regardless of whether they are registered with the practice. Patients can be treated by self presenting patients should telephone the surgery before they go, this will allow for assessment of the appropriateness of the condition and will also enable patients to be allotted a suitable time, which will in turn help to reduce waiting times. Patients will not be turned away if they present at the desk without calling prior to arrival, but may have to wait. The service will treat injuries or wounds that are less than 48 hours old.
Please note this is a minor injury service and should not be used as an alternative when urgent/emergency slots at a patient’s regular practice are unavailable.
- Minor cuts and wounds that are capable of closure by simple techniques (e.g. stripping, gluing, suturing and bandaging)
- Severe bruises
- Minor dislocations of fingers and toes
- Minor head injuries with no loss of consciousness and no penetrating injury
- Minor eye injuries and foreign bodies that do not penetrate the eye
- Removal of foreign bodies e.g. ears, nose, wounds
- Minor burns or scalds involving broken skin: Not over 3cm (one inch) in diameter and not involving the hands, feet, face, neck, genital areas
- Minor trauma to hands, limbs or feet (e.g. sprains and strains).
Conditions not accepted:
- Patients with airway, breathing, circulatory or neurological compromise
- Actual or suspected overdose
- Accidental ingestion, poisoning, fume or smoke inhalation
- Head injuries with loss of consciousness and/or penetrating injury
- Injuries that penetrate the eye
- Chemical, biological or radioactive contamination injured patients
- Burns: 3rd degree/full thickness (affecting all layers of the skin) or Minor burns over 3cm in diameter or involving injuries to organs and injuries to the face, neck, hands, feet or genitalia. Burns caused by electric shock.
- New or unexpected bleeding from any orifice if profuse
- Foreign bodies deeply embedded in bodily orifices or tissues
- Trauma to hands, limbs or feet substantially affecting function
- Penetrating injuries to the torso and abdomen
- Injuries involving nerve, artery or tendon damage.
Practices offering treatment for minor injuries (Monday – Friday) include:
- Woodchurch (8am to 6pm) 01233 860236
- Charing (8am to 5.30pm) 01233 714490
- Hamstreet (8am to 6pm) 08444773989
- Ivy Court (8am to 6pm) 01580 763666
- Kingsnorth (8am to 6pm) 01233 610140
- Wye (8.30am to 6pm) 08443 878419